Before we start we have to make sure that we are having all necessary parts for growing lettuce. The parts that we need are:
- A pack of May Queen Lettuce seeds
- A sheet of rockwool blocks
- A water pH Meter
- A pH Minus solution
- A thermometer that can measure the temperature of the water and the temperature of the air
- A enough large transparent food container with cover
All the things needed in this tutorial you can buy at local garden or hydroponics store. Or if there is none of them around, you can find them on this Amazon list here: http://amzn.to/1TkwktC
First we take a bowl and that is large enough to have all of our rockwool soaked in water.
Fill 3/4 of bowl with tap water
Take a pH meter and remove the black cap from it.
Place pH meter tip (the point that cap was placed before we removed it) in water and turn the pH meter ON.
Wait few minutes for value to stabilize
If the pH level is higher than 4.0 then add few drops of the pH Down (or pH Minus) liquid to bowl and stir it well and go to 3. point of this step and repeat points 3,4,5 and 6 until you get pH level of the water in bowl to be 4.0
Now you can put cap back to pH meter and turn pH meter off and place it somewhere else
Take the thermometer and check the temperature of the water
If temperature is not in range of 15 to 20 ºC (59 - 68 ºF) then heat up or cool down water so it’s temperature is in our desired temperature range
Now we can place our rockwool in the bowl with water
Put it aside for 30 min and then place it on the steep surface so the rockwool can release all unnecessary water.
Leave the rockwool on that surface for 15 min before proceeding to next step.
In case that your rockwool is combined with many pieces in one big piece now is the time to split it in those smaller blocks.
1. Take a small stick, wooden or plastic it doesn’t matter, just make sure that it is not more than 2.5mm wide. For example you can use stick for placing small meat pieces on the grill or toothpick.
2. From bottom of the stick measure 6 mm and with the marker or pen write a tin line exactly on 6mm point from the bottom of the stick
3. Take each block of the rockwool and push the stick in it so that you reach that 6mm mark that you’ve previously made. Please take special caution to make sure you don’t push the stick more than 6mm in the rockwool.
In the transparent food container place all the rockwool blocks so the holes are facing up and close the lid
With thermometer check the temperature in the room, it should be in range of 15 to 20 ºC (59 - 68 ºF). In case your room temperature is warmer or colder than accordingly adjust the temperature so it is in between 15 and 20 ºC (59 - 68 ºF)
Place the food container near the sunny window
In next 2-4 days we should see small sprouts coming out. During this time please maintain the room temperature in between 15 and 20 ºC (59 - 68 ºF), also check the rockwool and see if it’s drying out, and if necessary spray water on it so it get moisture but make sure to not over water the rockwool so when you pull the block of the rockwool up, water should not leak from it.